Friday, March 10, 2017

New Law Would End State Inspections


Your annual vehicle inspection may be no more after Senator Don Huffines (R-Dallas) filed Senate Bill 1588.

According to a press release, the Senate Bill would repeal the annual requirement that all passenger vehicles receive a state-certified inspection.

In a statement Senator Huffines says," With significant technological advances in vehicle design and technology, this 66-year-old program is a relic of the past. State government is wasting Texans' time & money on the annual chore of passenger inspections when 34 other states, including populous states like California, don't require it of their drivers. Once you realize that these inspections aren't about safety, it's clear that
they're simply a tax on Texans' time and money."

The inspections began in 1951, then in 1976 the federal government decided to drop the nationwide requirement.

According to the release, today, only 16 states still impose this mandate on drivers.

If passed this proposal would save drivers approximately $150 million, and 9 million hours that are lost while having passenger vehicles inspected.

Follow Texas News Blog
Facebook - Twitter - Google+

Source: CBS7

3 comments:

Matthew Beasley said...

Ok . So dose this mean I don't have to hook up my camper every year to get it inspected or any other trailer I own?

Ron W said...

I am so glad I don't have to do that crap anymore. Trying to find someone that will pass my vehicle or going to a new place and having them turn me down for some reason or another so they can double bill me. It is such a scam, many people that do inspections are always looking for a way to make more money so they find anything to turn you down. I do believe in it's intended purpose, unfortunately mechanics view it as a way to make sales. I remember my dad warned me years ago that many will try to readjust your headlights for an added fee. They tried that one on me twice, turn a screw driver, "that'll be $10 more". I once waited almost an hour at Pep Boys, then it started to rain & they cancelled my inspection appointment...

TheDhdt said...

Then I should receive all my money back from state of texas. The program works, but the laziness and corruption of state inspectors failing to make sure vehicles are safe, that makes inspection not reliable. I work hard to see those cars are safe and only see other stations don't care and pass them anyways.